411 Wednesday | Breast Cancer Awareness | Raleigh Family Photographer

This is probably the most important 411 Wednesday post I'll write.  I'm hoping it will encourage women to get in to have a breast exam.

This time last week I was watching Creative Live, thinking that I was learning some amazing new videography tips from Hailey (photographer/videographer) owner of You Can't Be Serious, and some amazing marketing information from Australia's top glamour photographer Sue Bryce.  When,  they presented their collaboration of images, video, and experience of telling Jill Brzezinski-Conley's message.

Here is where you need to grab yourself some tissues.  And give yourself a few minutes to watch this amazing message of a strong and courageous woman named Jill.

Flip through the pages of the magazine and watch the video: The Light That Shines

After looking through the images in "print" and the video, I was in tears.  This hits close to home for me personally.

You see, my Aunt Ranaye Suttles (whom I was VERY close with) was diagnosed with stage 4 inflammatory breast cancer in September 2008.  She fought that battle, had the chemo, and had the double mastectomy.  It wasn't enough, the cancer had come back and spread.  She lost her fight with cancer almost 3 years to the date after being diagnosed on September 5th, 2011.


This photo was the last time I saw her, taken in July 2011.  She LOVED being "Up North" at the cabin.  Wrote a newspaper article for the Glencoe Enterprise called, "Try It You Might Like It", which consisted of her favorite recipes.  Which is now written by my mom, Sue Kaneski.  She also loved gardening, and of course photography!  She was very spirited, and full of laughs.  She ALWAYS had a positive attitude.

My Grandpa has also had 9 'bouts of cancer in the last 6 years.  So far, we have good reports on his last testing.  Two of my Grandpa's sisters passed away from cancer, and each of his six siblings have had cancer.  So, this is a scary thing to have in our family.  

With all of this cancer in the family, my mom decided to have genetic testing to see if she was a carrier.  Fortunately she is not.  Which means she has not passed the gene on to me or my girls.  By no means does this make us exempt from anything.

After seeing the amazing story of Jill, I decided not to wait any longer and made myself an appointment to have an exam.

Cancer does not care how old you are, how healthy you are, what color you are...So please take the time for yourself to be checked out.

May God bless Jill, her family and SO many others out there that are fighting and have fought.  We love you!

~Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment